Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Wedding Trip To Hell

So my trip to Oklahoma for my niece's wedding was truly stressful.  
Yes, I'm going to complain for a bit.  I plan on doing everything in my power to never go through O'Hare again.  Major suckage. 

Things started out OK, except for the fact that I procrastinated with packing and didn't get to bed until midnight.  I don't know what the slag my problem was, maybe I didn't want to go because I had a premonition.  Alarm rang at 4am (urg) but didn't have too much problem getting up and I left the house at 5:30.    
Flight out of Buffalo was supposed to leave at 7:30, but once boarded, we were told that weather in Chicago was delaying take off.  We didn't actually leave until 9:30-ish.  My connection was supposed to leave at 10am.  I figured I had missed my connection, but didn't realize what a pain in the aft it would be.  Apparently, almost every flight into Chicago was delayed because of severe thunderstorms.   
Now, since I am a novice flyer, I didn't realize that the airlines had automatically given me a replacement flight.  If I had known of this, I could have avoided standing in the customer service line for over an hour and a half with a zillion other people who had missed connections.  I could have continued merrily on my way, a little late, but still gotten to Oklahoma in time for the fun stuff.  Well.  Sorry, I was ignorant.  
The representative tried for a half hour to get me a flight out of Chicago, but there was nothing.  I swear, I was so tempted to say, send me back to Buffalo.  I'm not good with unplanned stuff - I just don't have the experience as I never really go anywhere.  But.  
The best the rep could do was a flight to Minn/St. Paul, then to Oklahoma City the next morning at 6am.    Gah.  
I got a coupon for a hotel discount (as the airlines don't comp when it is weather related), went to the bathroom to calm down a bit, and called for reservations.  Called my brother to let him know what was happening.  
Finally found the shuttle bus to the hotel, after unnecessary walking around the block, since I turned right instead of left.  Loser.  
Got to the hotel around 3pm, and I pouted until I decided to go downstairs and have an opulent dinner and charge it to my brother.  Went to bed around 10pm.  Up at 3am because I wanted to catch the 4am shuttle to the airport,only to be told by the desk that because of morning  thunderstorms, all the roads to the airport were flooded and blocked.  AARRGGHH!  
Shuttle left around 5am, hit heavy traffic and got to airport around 6, stood in security line for almost 2 hours (thank goodness I didn't have any luggage to check), and was incredibly surprised to see my flight hadn't left yet.  Only because the pilots and flight attendants hadn't arrived yet because of the road flooding.  
My time is a little messed up, and I don't exactly remember when the flight left Chicago.  I think it was after 10.  I missed the connection in Minn/St. Paul (surprise!) but lucky enough there was another one available.  I had about an hour and half to eat and rest.  Both flights were kind of bumpy, I don't know if it was because I was on those smaller planes.  Made me kind of ill.  
Got to Oklahoma, found a van/shuttle service, and arrived at the hotel around 2pm, where my bro met me in the lobby.  I had 2 hours to get ready for the wedding.  
I was tired. I was irritated.  I missed the rehearsal dinner.  I missed the girls getting makeup and hair done.  I missed all the fun stuff.          
I don't have any pics of me dressed up, no one took any.  Which was fine, as my hair looked like shit.  I had no time to do anything other than put it up in a clip.  At least my dress looked OK and I don't think I embarrassed my brother.  He seemed happy I was there.  
Ceremony was nice, and reception immediately followed at 8pm.  Tons of food.  I was sooo tired.  I stuffed myself so full, I couldn't even try any of the cake.  And I didn't drink anything as I knew I would probably pass out at the table.  I left around 10:30 and walked back to the hotel - I just couldn't keep my eyes open any more.  

Here's a church pic from after the ceremony.  Left to right, my sis-in-law, Liz, Lauren, Drew the groom, and my baby brother, Al. 

Left the hotel on Sunday and went to my bro's house to relax and recuperate.  We had planned on taking a bike ride in the afternoon, but were just too tired.  And it was too hot.  
So we went biking Monday instead.  I rode my nephew's 1200 Sportster.  What a great bike.  Very comfortable, and it's got straight pipes!  I love straight pipes.  I swear, you get more vibration out of them than stock.    
Here we're ready to go.

I really wanted to get my kicks on Route 66.  Yays!   One goal in life done!

He's flying!

Phew, crazy hot!  

Had to take a water break, it was so hot.  I guess I just like pouring stuff in my mouth! 

My flight home left Oklahoma Monday evening with no screw-ups. I got home after midnight and fell into bed.
It was nice to be home, but I wish I would have had more time to spend with everybody.  Ah well, maybe next year.  
And that's enough whining for this month. 


( 16 comments — Leave a comment )
Jul. 31st, 2011 04:40 am (UTC)
*hugs lots* oh airlines and flight delays and missed layovers and ick! but you made it, and that's what counted. ^_^ your niece is lovely!
Jul. 31st, 2011 01:01 pm (UTC)
Yes, I made it and that's what counts. I was lucky I got to go, it made my bro very happy.
Thanks, she is a cutie. Good genes! ;o)

Jul. 31st, 2011 01:34 pm (UTC)
I'm exhausted just reading about the damn flight mishaps!

I'm glad you had a lot of good food and an awesome bike ride, though. Glad you didn't end up going back home. :-)
Jul. 31st, 2011 03:31 pm (UTC)
I think back now and wonder why I was such a baby. Other people coped, what was my problem? But, it really affected me at the time.
Thank goodness my BotCon trip went off without a hitch, or I wouldn't have done the Oklahoma trip.

The ride was the best. I wish he didn't live so far, I love riding with him.
Jul. 31st, 2011 06:30 pm (UTC)
It is what it is. Just think- next time something like this happens, you'll be better equipped to handle it. :-)

Jul. 31st, 2011 02:37 pm (UTC)
Whine away! You had a rough time...I'm really sorry you missed the fun wedding-related stuff, and that the traveling was such a nightmare. :( Every time we've had to have a replacement flight, the airline has let us know. They should have told you at the gate, seems like. What a headache!! Really happy that your flight home went alright.

Great pics, though, and sweet bikes! :D
Jul. 31st, 2011 03:34 pm (UTC)
I love to complain and whine, my girlfriend yells at me all the time about it.
Well, I learned stuff about flying, anyway. Here's hoping I can drive to BotCon next year!
Yeah, they told us at the gate to go to the service center! Bastards.

Jul. 31st, 2011 03:47 pm (UTC)
Traveling can be such a bitch. Looks like you had fun on the ride though! *giggles at you pouring water into your mouth*
Aug. 2nd, 2011 12:30 am (UTC)
This was my first experience with bad flights.
At least the whole trip wasn't a nightmare.

Yeah, reminds me of good times, huh. mmm, strawberry syrup. ;)
Most of it went up my nose and down my shirt! Felt great!

Edited at 2011-08-02 12:31 am (UTC)
Jul. 31st, 2011 05:47 pm (UTC)
Yup, reason why I don't like flying. They tend to screw up flights. >.<

I'm glad that you finally made it to OK though. *hugs*
Aug. 2nd, 2011 12:32 am (UTC)
I much prefer driving.
Here's hoping next year's BotCon is within a 4 hour radius.

thanks, *hugs back*
Aug. 2nd, 2011 11:59 pm (UTC)
I'm kind of torn on wanting Botcon to be in a different state from me or not. XD

De nada. :3
Jul. 31st, 2011 11:40 pm (UTC)
flights are a necessary evil---but at least you had fun on the road later!
Aug. 2nd, 2011 12:33 am (UTC)
I just learned to avoid Chicago in the future.
Yes, awesome fun!

Aug. 2nd, 2011 04:49 am (UTC)
Aw man, glad you eventually got home, though!

Route 66!!
LOL water pourer... XD Looks like you had a great ride! <3
Aug. 4th, 2011 12:40 am (UTC)
Home sweet home. My kitties missed me.

It was a great ride. I wish he didn't live so far away, I really enjoy riding with my bro.
( 16 comments — Leave a comment )



Latest Month

July 2019


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Ideacodes